10 Types of Food to Strengthen Your Immunity
Today being World Health Day, it is important to express our gratitude to all the Health Workers, Doctors, Nurses, Caregivers, Midwives and many more for being at the front line fighting this Pandemic. Their efforts are invaluable and worth more than anything that we can even imagine for what these wonderful souls are doing by saving the mankind from this Coronavirus Pandemic.
On this World Health Day, let’s go back to basics with winter creeping up on us to strengthen our immune system.
When we talk of immunity, we generally talk of certain foods or drinks that can boost our immunity, regular exercise and eating a healthy diet that includes foods high in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, getting adequate rest, and washing our hands thoroughly and often.
Let me share some ways which you can strengthen your immunity:
1. Half a teaspoon of turmeric in a glass of milk has great healing properties, helps fight infection & also contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
2. A hot concoction of ginger juice with honey and lemon mixed in a glass of water is very useful to cure sore throat, common cold and helps improve digestion. If you only need a small amount of ginger juice you can just use a garlic press. Simply peel off and cut a small piece of ginger to fit inside the garlic press and squeeze it all together.
3. Citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons & limes are the best sources of Vitamin C. As our body cannot store Vitamin C, it is essential that it is consumed daily. A glass of warm water with lemon juice and honey is a good way to ensure a daily dose. Pair your orange juice with a hearty breakfast and you’ll be ready to start your day!
4. Red bell peppers are also a great source of Vitamin C and beta-carotene that keep skin and eyes healthy.
5. Almonds which are rich in fiber, protein, magnesium and vitamin E can be eaten raw or roasted.
6. Spinach is rich in calcium, vitamin A, iron, dietary magnesium and antioxidants that are important for a healthy immune system.
7. Apples are a rich source of fiber and essential vitamins like A, E, C and D.
8. Garlic has long been known for its medicinal values. Allicin is the main active ingredient in this vegetable, which helps the immune system fight common flu and cold.
9. Broccoli which is best consumed when parboiled, is rich in fiber and containing vitamin A, C and E.
10. Green tea helps to flush out harmful toxins & is a powerful source of amino acid and antioxidants.
Last but not least drink lots of water -usually our habit of drinking water is when we feel thirsty we drink water – however our feeling of thirst comes when we our body is already dehydrated so its important to drink water at regular intervals. How you drink water is also equally important – it is vital to sit down and then drink water instead of being in a hurry to drink water because you are feeling thirsty. When you sit and drink water, it helps in satiating your thirst, helps the kidneys to function well and it also helps in electrolyte distribution in the body.
So next time when you drink water sit down and drink water sip by sip.
THATCo is a team of Sales, Marketing & Operations specialists with a century’s worth of combined experience in the hospitality industry, catering to a wide spectrum of clients. Currently our client portfolio includes Toadbury Hall Country Hotel in Muldersdrift, in the Cradle of Humankind, Ninety North Guest House (Ferndale), House Higgo Boutique Guesthouse (Northcliff) and Black Eagle Hotel & Spa (Ruimsig) add city retreats to our local collection of properties, and Royal Jozini in Swaziland, means we have officially crossed the SA border.